Thursday, July 9, 2009

Putting Your Pet on Paper

I recently finished a short book about my kitty, Missy Shadow Heinemann. Titled, Shadow in the Window, it traces our relationship from the time I brought her home from the SPCA at seven weeks old through her third year with me. She’s four now. I’m looking for a publisher, but worry that the word count is too high for a gift book and too low for a nonfiction pet book.

Apart from my concerns, I discovered that writing about a pet is more difficult than I expected it to be. Trying to characterize Missy was challenging. Oh, her physical appearance was not so difficult, but getting the essence of her personality on paper was no easy feat, in part, because she’s a bit of a Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde. She vacillates between being a drama queen with an attitude and Mommy’s sweet girl. When I do something she doesn’t like, she hisses at me. At other times, she gets comfortable on my lap and gives me a bath with her pink, sandpaper tongue. The two of us have a great time watching the birdies and listening to them sing from the bay window in the TV/reading room. Sometimes Missy sings along with them.

Describing cat behaviors, preferences, and dislikes rather than human ones took considerable observation. On one occasion, I found myself counting her breaths per minute and comparing them to my own. And all the different meanings a meow has–not easy explaining them to the reader. Cats move differently than we do and communicate their needs and wants in unusual ways. Routine is very important to them, at least it is to Missy, and altering her schedule or one of her well-established habits creates tension and stress for her. Not only did I have to learn about cat behavior, but I had to show how Missy is different from other cats–what makes her unique.

Overall, I think writing about Missy made me a more sensitive pet owner. I came to know her better, anticipate her needs quicker, and love her more, if that’s possible.


Language use that bugs me:

Meteorologists who use double prepositions when forecasting the weather. For example, the rain is moving on up north, or my number one irritant, the storm went on off the coast. Now I ask you, “Can it be on and off at the same time?”

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observations. I guess it's hard to be certain of a non-verbal entity's intent, but after all these years, you can sure make some good guesses! Fingers crossed for a publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non-cat people are unlikely to be interested in your book. But we cat-lovers will understand every nuance of Missy's life. I can relate her life to the lives of my cats.

    Best of luck with a publisher.

    ReplyDelete